During the IWA Efficient 2019 exhibition, Roman Azanza III, President of Apo Agua Infra (part of Aboitiz InfraCapital), one of the largest conglomerates in the Philippines talks to GineersNow TV about their latest water technologies, innovations and industry expectations.
About Apo Agua Infrastructura, Inc.
Apo Agua Infrastructura Inc. (Apo Agua) is a joint venture company between Aboitiz Equity Ventures (AEV) and J.V. Angeles Construction Corporation (JVACC) with a 70-30 ownership structure. AEV owns 70% of the company, and JVACC the remaining 30%.
AEV is a publicly listed holding company with a solid track record in the country, with major investments in power, banking, food and land. JVACC is the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contractor for the entire project. The company brings with it 50 years of experience in the construction and development of water-related infrastructure in the Philippines.
Incorporated in August 2014, Apo Agua is a subsidiary of the Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc. (AIC), the fifth leg and newest business venture of the Aboitiz Group that undertakes all infrastructure and infrastructure-related investments.
In March 2015, Apo Agua has entered into a bulk water supply agreement with the Davao City Water District (DCWD) for the Davao City Bulk Water Supply Project (DCBWSP). The DCBWSP is a strategic infrastructure initiative that will shift the dependence of Davao City’s main water supply from groundwater wells to the more sustainably-sourced surface water from the Tamugan River.
Apo Agua and its engineering, procurement, and construction contractor, JVACC, are both committed to developing a sustainable bulk water supply for Davao City. A first in the country, the project’s water treatment facility will be powered by renewable energy sourced from a hydroelectric power plant. By tapping the Tamugan River, the project will access both the right quality and ample quantity of water in order to allow the DCWD to temporarily shut down many of its groundwater well sources. This, in turn, will ensure the preservation of the city’s water table and save it from irreversible environmental degradation such as land subsidence and saltwater intrusion–both typical results of groundwater over-extraction.
The treated water will be distributed to over one million Davaoeños through the DCWD’s five existing water systems (namely, Dumoy, Calinan, Tugbok, Panacan, and Cabantian), as well as via three additional new water systems at Talandang, Mandug, and Indangan. Set to be the largest private bulk water supply facility in the country, the PHP 12.6-bn project will provide the DCWD with over 300 million liters per day (mld) of safe water.
About Román V. Azanza, III
Mr. Román V. Azanza, III, serves as Aboitiz InfraCapital, Inc.’s water infrastructure head and President of Apo Agua Infrastructura, Inc., since 2018. Mr. Azanza served as First Vice President – Business Development of Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Inc. (AEV) and led the company’s thrust into the Public Private Partnership and privately-initiated infrastructure space. Before he joined AEV, he was the Regional Treasurer for Asia of CEMEX Asia Pte. Ltd. and served as Director for Strategic Planning at CEMEX Malaysia. He was previously with ING Barings where he was involved in both project finance and debt execution, and at Citibank, N.A. as a member of the North Asian Regional Audit team. He has extensive experience in business development, banking, strategic planning and corporate treasury. He holds an A.B. in Economics degree from Colby College, and earned his MBA at the Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, U.S.A. He also completed the CEMEX International Management Program in 2003. He is not connected with any government agency or instrumentality.
Click here to watch more #LeadersTalk, the world’s most watched B2B industry TV interview, straight from the leaders, CEOs and founders.
Follow our Linkedin page for the latest industrial news, technology reports and engineering trends. Know the latest career opportunities and job updates in the B2B sector.